Spicy Sweet Potato and Beef Stew Recipe
1. In a large dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Then, working in small batches,
brown the beef. Don’t worry about cooking them all the way through -- this process is just to get a nice dark crust on the outside.
2. Without cleaning the pan, add remaining 1 tbsp olive oil. Add onions and saute until browned, about 5 minutes. Then, add in garlic, paprika, cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine, then add in tomato paste.
3. Deglaze the pan with beer, using a wooden spoon to scrape off the yummy bits from the bottom of the pan. Add in worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Add in chicken or beef broth. Finally, add browned beef, juices and all.
4. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Then, add in sweet potatoes and bell peppers, and cook for one more hour.
5. Serve stew over couscous or quinoa, and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
3 tbsp olive oil
1.5 lbs stew beef, cut into ¾” cubes
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cumin
2 tbsp turmeric
4 tbsp tomato paste
6 oz light beer, like a Belgian ale
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
4 cups beef broth
1 lb sweet potato, ¾” cubes
2 red bell peppers, 1” cubes